Commercial-Scale, Certified Organic Production & Certification Class begins 1/20
NC Cooperative Extension Presents A class for farmers wanting to begin or transition to Commercial-Scale, Certified Organic Production Of Vegetable, Flower, and Fruit Crops. This class is geared toward growers who are or will soon be set-up for commercial scale production (1-acre of ready-to-cultivate field land or more), and wish to enter the expanding Certified Organic Market. Topics covered will include soils & fertility, disease identification & control, insect identification & control, weed management, post-harvest handling, certification & record-keeping, and marketing to retail & wholesale buyers.
The class will meet on Thursdays, from 6-8 PM, at the Ashe County Extension Center during the winter and early Spring of 2011.
Participating growers will receive books and digital media on organic agriculture, weed management, disease identification, and organic pest control.
Cost: $50 – Class limited to 20 growers
• January 20 – Introduction to Organics & Certification, and Marketing to Wholesale buyers
• January 27 – Planning Your Organic Crops, Cover Crops, & Rotations
• February 3 – Soils & Fertility in Organic Systems
• February 10 - Weed Management in Organic Systems
• February 17 – Disease Management in Organic Systems
• February 24 – Insect Management in Organic Systems
• March 3 – Pest Management Wrap-up & Post-Harvest Handling for Selected Crops
• March 10 – Certification Details Wrap-up
For more information, call the Ashe County Extension office at (336) 846-5850, or the Watauga County Cooperative Extension office at (828) 264-3061, or e-mail Richard Boylan at firstname.lastname@example.org